Honeymoon in Sonmarg
Around 87 km away from Srinagar, Sonamarg is a honeymooner’s destination in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. With an average elevation of around 3,000 meters, Sonamarg is a hill retreat that offers beautiful views of the countryside as well. Rich with vegetation and green meadows, Sonamarg is a delightful location for lovers of peace and tranquility. Often couples make their way from Srinagar, Gulmarg to Sonamarg. The Sindh Nallah or the tributary of River Indus passes through this place. Sonamarg ideally means, the Meadow of Gold. The pastures, gorged valleys and the meandering river are its main attractions. Trout fishing is one of the main activities of the region.
How to Reach Sonmarg
By Air :
The Srinagar airport is the closest and around 68 km away from Sonamarg.
Srinagar is the nearest railway station that is located at a distance of around 70 km. Jammu Tawi and Udhampur are two other rail heads you can opt for.
By Road :
Drive of 87 km from Srinagar. There are state owned buses plying daily from Jammu and Srinagar.
Tourist Attractions in Sonmarg
Check out the list of places for visit during your honeymoon in Sonamarg:
– This is an important attraction in summer season and a prominent trekking point in Sonamarg region. Trekkers descend to Nichnai, valley of the shepherds, after having a beautiful view of the Thajiwas Glacier. The trekking route extends up to Vishansar, Krishnasar and Gadsar Lake.
– The famous camping ground for devotees who are enroute to Amarnath Yatra. Baltal is around 15 km away from Sonamarg and lies at the Zoila pass base. Being situated on the banks of Sindh River, it is a scenic place of visit.
– At a height of 3658 meters, Gangabal Lake is located at the foothills of the Haramukh Mountain. Water from the melting glaciers and rainfall fills the lake that stretched up to 2 km. Trout fishing is a prominent sport for trekkers and couples. The trek to Gangabal is around 15 km by foot or on horse back. The distance from Srinagar is around 45 km. From Sonamarg, the lakeside is a trek of around 25 km after crossing Nichnai.
Talking about Sonmarg and you don’t think about visiting the Amarnath is not possible, Amarnath cave is a leading Hindu pilgrimage and remains open only between July to August when the snow-formed Shivlinga takes its form. Amarnath yatra indeed is the greatest attraction of Sonmarg tourism.
Sonmarg holds some of the most scenic lakes of Himalayan bed. The enchanting lakes to take a trip down to include: the Krishnasar Lake, Vishansar Lake, Gadsar Lake, Satsar Lake and Gangabal Lake.
Nilagrad is a must to visit spot on Sonmarg trip. The natural uniqueness and serenity around are very appealing. Nilagrad is the confluence, where Indus river is joint by many mountain rivers and the color of their unite stream is pure red. Red water of Nilagrad is said to have curative powers and thus is highly revered to by the natives of the region.
One of the strongest appeals of Sonmarg tourism is the Zoji-La Pass, Nichinai Pass and Satsaran Pass. Zoji-La Pass especially is very famous, being the gateway to Leh, connecting the Kashmir valley to Leh.
Some of the other places to visit in Sonmarg are:
Honeymoon Hotels to Stay in Sonmarg
Top rated hotels of Sonmarg that you can stay in for your honeymoon vacations, are:
- Rah Vilas Hotel, Sonmarg
- Hotel Sonmarg Glacier View, Sonmarg
- Glacier Heights, Sonmarg
- Hotel Snowland, Sonmarg
- JKTDC Sonmarg, Sonmarg
- Mountain Greens Camping, Sonmarg
Best Time to Visit to Sonmarg
Nestled amongst high rising mountain ranges, Sonmarg received very high snowfall which makes the place very harsh and uncomfortable, especially for the outsiders/tourists. The best time to visit Sonmarg is during summers, i.e. between the months of April to June. Monsoon months of July to September and pre-winters, i.e. from August and October are also pleasant at Sonmarg, but wet mountain surface of monsoons could turn out risky.
What Things to Carry to Sonmarg
Here is the list of things you would need with you on your Sonmarg honeymoon trip:
- Extra camera batteries and a carry pouch
- Decent Outgoing Dresses
- Heavy Cottons will do for the summer; you can though keep a light woolen.
- Woolens for the Post-Monsoon.
- Backpack for Day Travels.
- Trekking Shoes and Other Trekking Essentials.
- Skin Protection
- Needful Medicines
- Wrist Watch
- Mobile with Mobile Charger and Data Cable
- Camping Kit, if you are planning for camping on your own.
Before How Many Days the Booking Must be Done
Book your hotels rooms, tour and travels 1 month before your marriage and the start of your journey. And on your honeymoon, just relax and enjoy the serenity encircling you.