Honeymoon in Chembra Peak(Kerala)
Chembra Peak is an offbeat and out of the ordinary locale as it does not register too many tourist footprints like other destinations in the state of Kerala. It makes for an ideal post wedding sojourn.
Chembra Peak is cushioned at a good height in the Wayanad Hills of the Western Ghats giving you a 360 degree view of the entire surroundings which is undoubtedly awe-inspiring to say the least. It is replete with tea estates where you’ll love to take a stroll.
Chembra Peak is the loftiest peak at 2,100 metres in the Wayanad hill ranges adjacent to the Nilgiri Hills in the state of Tamil Nadu. It falls under the Wayanad district of Kerala. You can trek to the peak from the township of Meppadi. The distance is about 5 kms from the town and as you make your ascent, you’ll see tea estates on both sides of the trek. You’ll also come across an enchanting lake halfway through your trek.
Kozhikode is the closest railhead to Kalpetta from where you can conveniently head to Chembra Peak. Kozhikode is well connected by trains to Chennai, Goa, New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune and Madgaon. The closest airport is also in Kozhikode. There are regular flights from Mumbai, Chennai and New Delhi to Kozhikode airport. The town of Kalpetta is conveniently connected by road with Kozhikode, Vythiri, Bangalore, Mangalore and Mysore.
Ideal Time to Visit
The ideal time to visit Kalpetta is during the winter season that lasts from December to February. You can visit Kalpetta during the months of October, November, December, January, February and March when the temperature ranges between 18-25 degrees centigrade perfect for trekking to Chembra Peak and visiting the touring spots in the vicinity.
Where to Stay
Hotels and resorts in Wayanad best suited for honeymooners are Vythiri Resorts, Kudajadri Drizzle Homestay, Green Gates Hotel, Wayanad Silver Woods, Green Paradise Resorts, Banasura Hill Resort and the Cybele Hill Resort.
Things to Do
- River Rafting- You can go rafting in the Kabani River that is perhaps the best way to explore the little islands in the region.
- Trekking- You can trek to the Chembra Peak. You can also trek to the rainforests in the Wayanad area to explore the extensive range of flora and fauna in the region.
- Safari Treks- You can go on expeditions to Tholpetty and Muthanga wildlife reserves to chance upon the occasional leopard or chital.
Attractions for Honeymooners
- Pookot Lake- You’ll come across this lake while you embark on a trek to the Chembra Peak. The scenic views of the lake and the surroundings will surely reinvigorate you.
- Edakkal Caves -It takes about an hour to reach Edakkal Caves by trekking from Kalpetta. Have a look at the cave paintings that are more than 300 years old. You can also relish a meal at the country’s only cave eatery.
- Sentinel Rock Waterfalls- Enjoy a swim or bath at this picturesque waterfall or just have a splash.
- Banasura Sagar Dam- This dam has been constructed out of mud and is the biggest earth barrage in India. Do visit the nearby park teeming with trees bearing flowers throughout the year
- Meenmutty Waterfalls-This waterfall lies on the Wayanad-Ootacamund highway and falls from a stupendous height of 300 metres (about 1000 feet) in three distinct tiers. Don’t miss out on taking snapshots of the cascade
- Kuruvadweep-This island has a total area of 950 acres and is uninhabited. The island is home to some of the rarest species of herbs, orchids and birds
Other Places of Tourist Interest
- Sri Maha Vishnu Temple
- Ayappa Swamy Temple
- Varambetta Mosque
- Puliyarmala Jain Temple
- Koottamundu Glass Temple
- Pazassi Tomb
You can shop for spices, coffee and tea of different flavors, handcrafts made out of coconut shells, cane, ivory, wood, metals and bamboo.