Honeymoon in Chikaldhara(Maharashtra)
Chikaldhara is a picturesque hill-station that sits pretty amidst a landscape dotted with cascades, rushing rivulets, and velvety valleys. You can look forward to a dream honeymoon in Chikaldhara where you’ll be whiling away the hours by taking snapshots of rare species of wild animals including sloth bears, wild boars, panthers, sambars, and wild dogs.
Trek in the majestic woods of the Chikaldhara hills, reinvigorate yourself by standing under an imposing waterfall or catch arresting vistas of the hill-station from Devi Point, Prospect Point or Hurricane Point. You’ll surely get nostalgic when you reminisce about your honeymoon sojourn to Chikaldhara.
Chikaldhara is nestled in the Chikaldhara Hills at an elevation of 1118 metres and falls under the Amravati district in Vidarbha region. It is the only hill-station in the entire Vidarbha area. It is also Maharashtra’s sole coffee cultivation area.
Chikaldhara does not have a railway station of its own. The nearest railhead is in Badnera located at a distance of 110 kms. The nearest domestic airport is in Akola and the closest international airport is in Nagpur. One can reach Chikaldhara by taking a MSRTC bus from Nagpur, Amravati, Paratwada, Wardha, Betul, Khandwa, and Akola.
Ideal Time to Visit
The best time to visit Chikaldhara is in the months of February, March, October, November and December when the weather is ideal for visiting the places of interests in and around Chikaldhara.
Where to Stay
There is no dearth of accommodation options in Chikaldhara. However, since as a honeymooning couple you’d be looking for privacy and exclusivity, you can choose to stay either in Satpura Retreat or Green Valleys Resort or MTDC Holiday Resort. Make reservations well in advance.
What to Carry
- Train/flight tickets
- Travel Insurance Transcripts
- Spare Cash
- Debit/Credit Cards
- Light Woollens
- Gumboots/Knee-length boots
- Sunscreen Lotions
- Insect Repellents
- Essential medications
- First Aid Kit
- Antibacterial Wipes
- Guide Maps
- Important telephone numbers and addresses
- Pouch bag with zipper lock
As the above is not an exhaustive listing, discuss with your travel agent or service provider for a complete list of things you’d need to carry.
- Trekking in the nearby ravines and hills
- Safari at Melghat Tiger Reserve
- Aquatic sports in Shakkar Lake
- Rock Climbing
Honeymoon Attractions around Chikaldhara
Other places of interest that should be on your must see list:-
- Charlotte Lake also known as Sharlott Lake is situated in Matheran which is another scenic hill-station in Maharashtra. The lake attracts tourists in droves and is a very popular picnic spot. Seek blessing for a blissful and long married life in the Pisarnath Temple that lies to the right of the lake
- Gugamal National Park is spread over an area of approximately 362 sq. Kms and is connected to the Melghat Tiger Reserve. It is well-known for its rich variety of flora and fauna.
- Devi Point is located close to the Shakkar Lake. You can get to the peak of the hillock by scaling a few steps. From the hilltop, you can soak in the views of the enchanting surroundings and freeze shots of the point from where the Chandrabhaga River originates and the vestiges of the Amravati Fort
- Melghat Tiger Reserve with a tropical deciduous cover of approximately 1676 sq. Kms has more than 648 species of fauna including tigers, barking deers, sambars, chitals, gaurs, wild boars, chinkaras, snakes, and lizards.
- Gavilgadh Fort is part of the Melghat Tiger Project. Travel back in time by doing a recce of the citadel housing cannons made of brass, copper and iron.
- Hariken Point lies to the south of the upper fringes of the Chikhaldara plateau. Catch breathtaking views of the Vairat Hills, Mozari hamlet and the Gavilgadh Fort
- Panchbol Point lies in close proximity to the Bir Lake. On yelling from the topmost area of the point, the echo is reverberated at least five times and hence the name
- Semadoh Lake
- Wan Sanctuary
- Narnala Fort
- Pandit Nehru Botanical Gardens
- Sakkar Lake
If you’re thinking about shopping to your heart’s content in Chikhaldara, then you’d be disappointed because there are no shopping malls or outlets here. However, you can head to Nagpur or Pune, two of the biggest cities that are closest to Chikhaldara. Some of the must buys:-
- Lacquer ware
- Bidri ware
- Warli tribal art
- Kolhapuri sandals
- Paithani, Himroo and Narayan Peth Saris