Honeymooning in Chopta (Garhwal)
If you’re looking forward to a honeymoon packed with romance, passion and adventure at every juncture, then you should be making arrangements for a vacation to the mini-Switzerland of India-Chopta.
Chopta as an unexplored hill destination will lend a celestial touch to your post wedding trip as you’ll be relishing every moment spent amidst a breathtaking backdrop of snow-capped Himalayan peaks, verdant valleys, and lush green alpine vegetation under a canopy of clear blue sky. Chopta offers you the perfect setting for spending a night under a cosmic awning dotted with stars where you’ll be basking in the warmth and glow of a bonfire.
Chopta is a scenic hill destination situated in the Garhwal area of the state of Uttarakhand. Chopta lies on the Gopeshwar-Ukhimath route and has an elevation of approximately 2,900 m. The hill-station is about 40 kms from the town of Gopeshwar. Chopta is actually an integral part of the Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary in the district of Rudraprayag. As a honeymooner, you’ll enjoy your time/stay in Chopta as it still remains a relatively uncharted spot since most tourists prefer to head to the more popular spots of Kedarnath, Badrinath, Rishikesh, Haridwar, Gopeshwar, and Ukhimath.
How to Reach
The closest railhead is Rishikesh situated at a distance of 209 kms. The most convenient way to reach Riskhikesh is from Haridwar. The railhead at Haridwar is well connected with all major railway stations in the country. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun. Chopta is conveniently connected by metalled roads with all major towns and cities in the region.
Best Time to Visit
The ideal time to visit Chopta is in the summer season particularly in the months of March, April, and May when the weather is lovely and pleasant, perfect for sightseeing. The average temperature ranges between 10 degrees and 30 degrees centigrade.
Where to Stay
A range of accommodation options are available in and around Chopta that suit all pockets. Some recommended hotels and resorts for honeymooners are Magpie Camps Resorts, Alpine Adventure Camp, and Chauhan Guest House.
What to Carry
- Travel documents
- Travel insurance transcripts
- Guide maps
- Woollen clothes
- Essential medication
- First Aid Kit
- Antibacterial wipes
- Sunscreen lotion
- Emergency phone numbers and addresses
- Disposable cash
- Debit/credit cards
- Directions for getting to your hotel
- Knee length leather boots
- Travel folio bag or pouch
Your travel agent or tour operator will be able to give you a better idea of what essential things you should carry.
Trekking is the most sought-after activity amongst tourists proceeding to Chopta. There are many trekking routes that originate from Chopta or go via this hill locale including the popular trails to Tungnath, Ukhimath, and Kanchula. Chopta is regarded as a paradise for trekkers and every trail offers imposing panoramas of the majestic Garhwal Himalayas and the sylvan valleys.
Sightseeing Attractions around Chopta
There are numerous places of tourist interest and sightseeing attractions in and around Chopta that you can visit. Places that should be must-sees in your itinerary are:-
- Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary-This protected wildlife reserve is home to many rare species of fauna including but not limited to flying squirrel, Himalayan pheasant, Himalayan fox, bharal (blue sheep), mountain goat, barking deer, musk deer, and leopard. Don’t forget to capture shots of wildlife.
- Tungnath Temple-It is one of the five abodes of Lord Shiva (Panch Kedars) and is located at a height of 3680 m. You can easily reach this spot by trekking for 4 kms from Chopta.
- Chandrashila-Chandrashila is the loftiest point on the mountain on which both Chopta and Tungnath Temple is situated. A 1 km trek from Tungnath takes you to Chandrashila which has an awe-aspiring altitude of 4090 m.
- Gopeshwar-This scenic town is the headquarters of the Chamoli district. You can cool your hills in this town after an exhausting trek.
- Ukhimath-Revered as the winter resting place of Lord Kedarnath, it is situated at a distance of 31 kms from Chopta. Surely visit the temples dedicated to Lord Shiva, Parvati, Usha, and Aniruddh and seek blessings for a fulfilling conjugal life.
- Kanchula Korak Musk Deer Sanctuary-This reserve is home to one of the largest populations of musk deer. Visit this place also to take in the fragrance of several varieties of mountain flowers.
You can shop for handicrafts including but not limited to wooden sculptures, candles, paintings, adornments, and winter garments.