Honeymoon in Lansdowne
If you want your honeymoon to be a walk in the clouds then you should be making arrangements for a vacation to Lansdowne. Lansdowne a quaint hill-station tucked away in the Garhwal Himalayas remains by and large an unexplored locale in the Uttarakhand state. The soothing environs, the comforting climate and the serene atmosphere will surely appeal to the romantic in you.
Unlike the other hill stations in the vicinity like Mussoorie and Dalhousie, Lansdowne does not get crowded with tourists even during the peak season which means that you unwind at leisure. The surroundings of the town enveloped in a lush green cover of pine and oak trees, the impressive all round views of the snow-capped mountains, and the cool fragrance in the air all coalesce to offer you a refreshing break from the hustle-bustle of urban existence. As newlyweds, you’ll love to go on long reinvigorating walks as Lansdowne offers good opportunities for trekking. You’ll also enjoy the popular honeymoon activities of boating, paddling and bird-watching in this charming hill-station.
Lansdowne is situated in Garhwal district in Uttarakhand state at an altitude of 1706m. It actually lies on NH 119 connecting Kotdwara and Pauri. Lansdowne is the closest hill-station to Delhi. As Lansdowne is perched 1,500m above Kotdwara, the ascent from Kotdwara to Lansdowne is abrupt but if you’re of the adventurous kind, you’ll simply love the journey.
Lansdowne doesn’t have a railway station of its own. The closest railway station is in Kotdwara. One can get to Kotdwara from all major railheads in India including Kolkata and Delhi. You can head to Lansdowne from Kotdwara by private transport. Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the nearest major domestic airport. The IGI airport in Delhi is the closest international airport. IGI airport is conveniently connected with all major airports in India and abroad. One can easily reach Lansdowne by road from Delhi, Hardwar, Mussoorie, and Dehradun.
Best Time to Visit
Since it gets extremely cold in the winter which lasts from December to February, it is best to visit Lansdowne during the summer season. The ideal time to plan a vacation to Lansdowne is between March and November.
Where to Stay
There are accommodation options aplenty for tourists in Lansdowne. However, as a honeymooner you’d want complete privacy during your stay. So, the recommended options for honeymooners are ‘Blue Pine Resort’,’ ‘Fairy Dale’, ‘Kasang Regency Hill Resort’, ‘Shanti Raj Hill Cave Resort’ and ‘Retreat Anand Jungle Resort’.
Activities for Honeymooners
- Trekking to Hawagarh/Tip-in-Top
- Bird-watching in Bhulla Taal (Lake)
- Boating in Bhulla Taal
- Paddling in Bhulla Taal
- Nature walks to nearby places of tourist interest
Sightseeing Attraction for Honeymooners
- Tip-in-Top or Tiffin Top-It is a viewpoint located close to St. Mary’s Church. You must visit this spot to catch breathtaking views of the Garhwal Himalayas and Tibet
- The Garhwal Rifles Regimental War Memorial-This War Memorial is dedicated to the martyred soldiers of the Garhwal Regiment of the Indian Army. Almost every visitor or tourist heading to Lansdowne pays a visit to this war memorial
- Durga Devi Temple-Situated about 25 km away from Lansdowne, this temple devoted to Goddess Durga is sheltered within a grotto or cave. The Khoh River flows close by. Visit this temple to seek the goddess’s divine blessings
- Regimental Museum-Visit this museum to have a look at various antique pieces of the Garhwal Rifles
- Bhulla Tal-You can enjoy a round of boating or paddling at Bhulla Tal which in Garhwali dialect means ‘younger brother’
- Bhim Pakora-Bhim Pakora is a historical site in Dhura and is just about 2km from Gandhi Chowk. This site attracts tourists for its rocky mound which is never said to topple
- Hawaghar-A tranquil spot in Lansdowne from where you can take in spectacular vistas of the snow-topped Himalayas. A trail from this spot takes you to Khyber Pass
- Lover’s Lane-This is a trek which gives all round views of the valley below and the verdant surroundings replete with blue pine and oak trees
- St. Mary’s Church-This church has been turned into a museum and houses amazing pictures from the pre-independence period
You can shop for woolen garments, and handcrafted items from Mangara Bazaar, Chaplori Bazaar, Pabau Bazaar, Kurgutkhal market, Nautha market or Chippal Ghat Bazaar.