Honeymoon in Yercaud
Have endless streak of fun and immerse yourself in uninhibited revelry on your honeymoon at Yercaud. A hilltop locale nestled in the Shevaroy Hill range is quaintness and mysticism of the place is sure to appeal to you. You’ll simply get enchanted with the serenity of Yercaud.
The weather remains enjoyable all through the year with temperatures ranging between 13 degrees and 30 degrees centigrade. As newlyweds, you’ll have so much to explore that you’ll need to plan for an extended trip. Yercaud is mostly notable for its orchard and coffee plantations. The plantations of bananas, pears, jackfruits, oranges and coffee in and around Yercaud are a feast for the eyes.
The ambiance of Yercaud is also a balm for the bruised soul and the weary body. If you’re an avid trekker, you’ll love embarking on a trek to any of the nearby attractions. Yercaud teems with abundant and exotic varieties of flora and fauna. Silver oaks, sandalwood, teak, and mahogany trees abound in the forests. The forests also thrive in wildlife including bisons, squirrels, mongooses, snakes, foxes, and different species of birds.
Yercaud is a hill resort in the state of Tamil Nadu and is a sub-division of the Salem District. It is comfortably cushioned in the Shevaroy Hills of the Eastern Ghats. Yercaud has a total area of 382.67 sq kms if the forest cover is included. It is situated at an elevation of 1515m.
Salem Junction is the closest railhead at a distance of 35 kms from Yercaud. All trains proceeding to South via Salem halt at Salem station. There are trains heading to Yercaud from Trivandrum, Mangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Cochin, Chennai, and Bangalore. Trincomalee (Trichy) international airport situated at a distance of about 163 kms is the closest airport. TNRTC (Tamil Nadu Road Transport Corporation) buses regularly ply from Chennai, Bangalore, Mangalore, and Coimbatore to Salem and connect to Yercaud en route.
Best Time to Visit
You can visit Yercaud in the months of October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May and June.
There are near infinite accommodation options in and around Yercaud. Some ideal putting up options for honeymooners are ‘GRT Nature Trails’, ‘Rock Perch-Sterling Holiday Resort’, Grand Palace Hotel and the ‘Club Mahindra Lake Forest’.
Things to Do
As the weather remains mild and pleasant for the better part of the year, you can trek to most of the tourist attractions in the vicinity of Yercaud. You can also choose a tourist package to Mettur, Salem, Sankagiri, Namakkal or Tiruchengodu.
Sightseeing Attraction for Honeymooners
- Yercaud Lake-As a honeymooner, you’ll be inexorably drawn to this lake. Take a boat ride in this lake that lies amidst a picturesque backdrop of manicured gardens and dense forests.
- Killiyur Falls-The Killiyur Falls drops from a height of 3000 feet and is sheltered amidst scenic surroundings. Don’t miss taking pictures.
- Lady’s Seat-This is a viewpoint situated at a strategic height that gives you a 360 degree view of the Salem town. The view at night is indeed awe-aspiring with the lights of the town resembling twinkling stars. Another good viewpoint is the Pagoda Point.
- Mettur Barrage-This dam built across the Cauvery River serves as a picnicking spot as there are many well maintained gardens around the barrage.
- Sankagiri Fort-This fort is a living testimony of the battles that were fought by Tipu Sultan and Hyder Ali with the British.
- Tiruchengodu- It is a pilgrimage centre which is home to an age-old temple devoted to Ardhanareeshwar-a form of Lord Shiva incorporating both the male and female bodies.
- Namakkal-This place is famous for its caves chiselled out of single blocks of rocks and a temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman.
Other places of tourist interest that are worth visiting are ‘The Retreat’, ‘The Monfort School’, ‘Anna Park’, and the ‘Servaroyan Temple’.
On your way back, you can pick up specialties of the region like skincare products, coffee powder, pickles, jams, perfumes, natural oils, spice packets, and handloom fabrics.