Honeymooning in Mcleodganj
If you want to completely immerse yourself in a honeymooning ambience that you'll remember for a lifetime then you should start making plans for your post wedding trip to Mcleodganj. Mcleodganj is a suburban settlement located within Dharamsala-the home of the Holy Dalai. Mcleodganj is comfortably nestled in the Dhauladhar mountain range. It has been attracting wanderlust tourists and travellers since long. Newlyweds from all over the world also flock to this hill-station for an ethereal and otherworldly experience.
Perched at an altitude of 2082 m Mcleodganj lies within Dharamsala in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. The town which offers some of the most impressive and spectacular views of the surroundings gets its name from David Mcleod. The town being the administrative seat of the government of Tibet, you'll find many Buddhist monasteries and temples here. The town offers the perfect setting for an extraordinary honeymoon.
The closest airport to Mcleodganj is Gaggal. You can fly in to Gaggal from Delhi which is the nearest international airport. From Gaggal it takes approximately an hour to get to Mcleodganj. You can take a train to Pathankot or Chakki Bank from New Delhi railway station. From Pathankot, you can take a taxi if you want to reach your destination safely, conveniently and quickly.
However, you should not miss taking a toy train ride to Kangra from Pathankot if you're on a honeymoon for lapping up some of the most enchanting views. You can also take a bus from Delhi that usually departs early in the evening and takes about 12 hours to reach Mcleodganj.
The Best Time to Visit
If you want to do away with the need to put on heavy woollens and visit all the sightseeing attractions without getting hamstrung by drizzles then you should plan your tour between March and June or between September and November.
What to Carry
- Travel documents including your passport, train/plane tickets, visa extension forms
- Medical/Life Insurance Coverage Papers
- First Aid Kit and essential medication
- Sufficient funds to meet personal expenses and/or emergency expenses
- Guide map
- Contact numbers and addresses of tourist information centres, travel agent and so on
Discuss with your tour agent for a complete list of things that you must carry on your trip.
Where to Stay
You'll find budget and luxury hotels in the price range of 400 INR-4000 INR (per day per individual). For spending more quality time during your honeymoon, you can make bookings for putting up in a resort or cottage. Many accommodations offer internet facilities as well.
Things to Do
If you want to feel the adrenaline rush, you can go take your pick from one or more of the activities of river rafting, kayaking, canoeing, angling, camping, paragliding, and a host of other water and mountain sports.
- Dalai Lama's Temple- the main attraction in Mcleodganj home to the Namgyal Monastery
- Tibetan Museum - Catch up with Tibet history, culture and more and customs of its Tibetans
- Kangra Art Museum - Feast your eyes on the artefacts, and crafts reflecting the history of the Kangra Valley
- Tibetan Children's Village - TCV is an orphanage which also doubles up as a school for refugee children from Tibet. It's a community by itself. Surely visit this place with your beloved and share your childhood experiences with the children.
- Bhagsunath Temple - Offer your prayers to the Hindu deities for a long and blissful married life amidst the serene atmosphere of this medieval temple.
- Dharamkot Village - Some of the most excellent views of the Dhauladhar mountain range are to be had from this tiny hamlet near Mcleodganj. The forests around the village with tall deciduous trees of different species and home to varieties of mountain flowers are very picturesque.
If you're planning a long honeymoon trip, then the Masroor Temple, HPCA stadium (in Dharamsala), Norbulingka Institute, Triund, Dal Lake, Bhagsu Falls, and St. John's Church should be must sees on your itinerary.
Conclusively, it can be inferred without exaggerating a bit that there will be no full stops in your honeymoon trip to Mcleodganj.