Wildlife Sanctuaries in Uttar Pradesh
Gushing down the icy Himalayan Range, streams of rivers like Ganga and Yamuna have feed the plains of Uttar Pradesh. Banked around the enriching streams of these rivers have thrived various jungles and forests, making way out for attractive wildlife sanctuaries and national parks. State of Uttar Pradesh is blessed with many well recognised wildlife sanctuaries which display plenty of biodiversity. Nature lovers, adventure lovers, students, youngsters and even couples love visiting these abodes of nature and wildlife. Escaping away from their hectic job schedules and hustling city life, people prefer to go for wildlife tours, where in the thrilling jungle noises all other thoughts and worries vanish in the air and all you think of is the jungle around and its inhabitants. Visit the various wildlife sanctuaries of the state of Uttar Pradesh, which are though less popular, so less crowded as well. Go explore some new trails and let the world know about your discoveries.
Wildlife Sanctuaries of Uttar Pradesh
Meant for the protection and conservation of the natural wildlife, these Government run wildlife sanctuaries are an ideal getaway for those who love the pristine lap of Mother Nature and are ready for thrilling encounters with the Tigers, Hyenas, Eagles, Wild Beasts, etc. and spot around other timid animals and birds. Major wildlife sanctuaries of the state of Uttar Pradesh are:
• Dudhwa National Park, Lakhimpur Terai
Stretched along an area of around 500 sq. km, Dudhwa National Park resides in the enriched land of Indo-Nepal border area. Lying in the foothills of Lakhimpur region, the location and surrounding of the park area are very thrilling and so enriched is its wildlife diversity and population as well.
• Hastinapur Wildlife Sanctuary, Meerut
Explore the virgin beauty of nature and its charm stretched out in a vast area of 2000 sq. km. Along with the vegetation and scenic beauty, the wildlife of the area is as well very diverse and splendid.
• Kaimoor Wildlife Sanctuary, Mirzapur-Sonbhadra
Unexplored 500 sq. km. area of the sanctuary is no less thrilling and magnetizing than any of the leading wildlife sanctuaries of India.
• Ranipur Wildlife Sanctuary, Chitrakoot
In the scenic region of Chitrakoot and occupying large area coverage of around 230 sq. km.; Ranipur wildlife sanctuary is one of the major wildlife sanctuaries of the state of Uttar Pradesh. A diverse population of flora and fauna can be seen around here.
• Chandra Prabha Wildlife Sanctuary, Chandauli
With a park area of around 80 sq. km., Chandra Prabha wildlife sanctuary is a delight for the nature lovers.
• National Chambal Sanctuary, Etawah
National Chambal Sanctuary is known for its jungle wildlife along with the swampy wildlife like Magars and Gharials. Rare species of Ganga dolphins are the biggest attraction of the park.
Other wildlife sanctuaries of Uttar Pradesh are:
- Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary, Bahraich
- Mahavir Swami Wildlife Sanctuary, Lalitpur
- Vijay Sagar Sanctuary, Mahoba
- Bakhira Sanctuary, Sant Kabir Nagar
- Kishangarh Sanctuary, Lakhimpur
- Kachhua Sanctuary, Varanasi
- Sohagi Barwa Sanctuary, Maharajaganj
- Okhala Sanctuary, Ghaziabad
- Samaspur Sanctuary, Rae Bareli
- Saman Sanctuary, Mainpuri
- Parvati Agra Sanctuary, Gonda
- Sur Sarovar Sanctuary, Agra
- Suraha Tal Sanctuary, Ballia
- Lakh Bahosi Sanctuary, Kannauj
- Suhelva Sanctuary, Sravasti
Tiger Reserves of Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh also has two fabulous tiger reserves that you would love to take a safari ride to. Unexplored, untamed and cheaper than the other tiger reserves of the country, these provide you the exciting opportunity to get in the shoes of an explorer in the less popular trails of:
• Dudhwa Tiger Reserve, Lakhimpur Terai
Terai region sanctuaries together are referred to as Dundhwa Tiger Reserve.
• Pilibhit Tiger Reserve, Pilibhit
Bird Sanctuaries of Uttar Pradesh
Few sanctuaries of the state of Uttar Pradesh are best known for the flocks of birds, both native and migratory, that are found around here. Delightment to the sense and soul of bird lovers, bird sanctuaries of the state are enriched with a great diversity of vegetation as well. Leading bird sanctuaries of the state of Uttar Pradesh are:
- Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary, Unnao
- Patna Bird sanctuary, Etah
- Sandi Bird Sanctuary, Hardoi
If paying a visit to Lucknow or Kanpur and wish to enjoy the natural beauty, you can also visit:
- Allen Forest Zoo, Kanpur
- Lucknow Zoo, Lucknow